BSc PGDip MSc S.Pac. , PhD Brist.
- Member of numerous screening committees in the Faculty as well as the university
- Chaired numerous screening committees
- Been a member of the University Appointments committee 2003-2005
- Chaired Board of Studies and currently Chair of Faculty T&L Committee
- Chaired School Research Committee and Heads of Departments Committee 2003-2005
- Member of student Disciplinary Committee
- Member of the Senior Management Committee 2003-2005
- Member of Council 2002-2006
- Member of Senate 2003-2005, 2007-2009
- Member of Academic Board and now ASQC
- Been a member of many USP committees and working groups as either the Head of School (SPAS) or Associate Dean (FST)
- Acted as Head of School (SPAS) and later appointed Head of School between 2003-2005
- Associate Dean (Teaching & Learning) FST since 2006
- Acted as Dean on numerous occasions
- Dean since April 2009
On numerous local, regional and international committees and forums. Made several presentations on behalf of USP in external forums
- Keynote speaker at the Fiji Microbiology Society conference, March, 2003.
- Keynote speaker at the SPC/USP workshop on Effective use of Resources, March, 2003.
- Keynote speaker at the Fiji Association of Women Graduates workshop on Science teachers, April, 2003.
- Keynote speaker at the USPISA annual Function
- Keynote speaker at the UNESCP workshop on wind energy conservation system, 2004.
- Addressed CFS workshop on T&L, 2007
- Been a member of various Panel Discussions
- Several more keynote addresses
Contribution to Faculty/USP in recent years:
- Involved in the development of the USP Quality Strategy
- Developed the exam moderation process in FST
- Developed the Peer Review of Teaching process in FST
- Developed Faculty Teaching & Learning Committee TOR, Staff/Student Liaison Committee TOR, School Board of Studies TOR, Industry Liaison Committee TOR
- Developed the Faculty Teaching & Learning Plan.
- Implemented staff appraisal process in FST for staff at every level. Organised training for appraisers in the Faculty
- Course Outline for the Faculty providing vast improvement on what students receive
- Working with two Computing Science staff on developing an online Course Outline which will incorporate quality issues of development and delivery as well as consistency of content, etc
- Mid-semester reporting of student progress and remedial work for relevant students
- Initiated and still working on student workloads in the Faculty
- Initiated work on Graduate Attributes for USP and work is continuing
- Chaired a working group looking at consolidating USP Calendar and am currently leading the work resulting from this.
- Re-worked the paper on External Advisers which Senate approved and being implemented in 2009.
- Led the Quality Circle on Teaching & Learning in preparation for the Quality Audit
Prakash R and Jokhan A.D. 2008 Effects of herbicide Diuron 80 on Enteromorpha flexuosa and Enteromorpha Intestinalis. Journal of Applied Phycology. (submitted)
Prakash R, and Jokhan A.D. 2008 Using photosynthesis and biochemical composition of Enteromorpha flexuosa (Wulfen) and Enteromorpha Intestinalis (Linneaus) as indicators of environmental stress in the intertidal zones. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. (submitted)
Ram AN, Gawander JS, Jokhan AD, Garan K 2007 Soil Loss and Declining sugarcane yields on sloping land in Fiji. Proceedings of the International Society for Sugar Cane Technology, 26, 190-19
Jokhan, A.D. and McLenachan, P. 2004 Genetic fingerprinting of Fijian Kava. South Pacific Journal of Natural Sciences 22, 41-43
Khan S, Tyagi, A.P. and Jokhan, A.D. 2002 Sex ratio in Hawaiian papaya (Carica papaya) variety “Solo”. South Pacific Journal of Natural Science, 20, 22-24.
Jokhan AD, Herink R, Jackson MB 1999 Concentration and delivery of abscisic acid in xylem sap are greater at the shoot base than at a target leaf nearer to the shoot. Plant Biology. 1, 253-260
Jokhan AD, Else MA, Jackson MB 1996 Delivery rates of abscisic acid in xylem sap of Ricinus communis L. plants subjected to part-drying of the soil. Journal of Experimental Botany. 47, 1595-1599
Eamus D, Narayan AD 1990 A pressure-volume analysis of Solanum melongena leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany. 41, 661-668
Eamus D, Narayan AD 1989 The influence of water stress and abscisic acid foliar spraying on stomatal responses to ABA, carbon dioxide, IAA, water loss and Ca2+ in Solamun melongena. Journal of Experimental Botany. 40, 573-580
Refereed and Non-refereed Papers
Oral presentation at conferences
Prakash R, Jokhan AD 2008 Marine Algae (Enteromorpha species) as possible bioindicators for coastal environment, Invited Paper at the International Conference on Biodiversity, Conservation and Management, Cochin University of Science and Technology, Cochin, India February 3 – 6.
Jokhan AD 2007Are Laboratory course still relevant in the 21st Century? How can we manage laboratory courses with declining resources? 2007 National Uniserve Science Conference, University of Sydney, Australia
Jokhan AD 2003 Teaching Science in the Region. Teaching and Learning with Pasifika Students, Invited paper at the Colloquium for Tertiary Teachers organised by Auckland University of Technology and The University of the South Pacific.
Jokhan AD, Jackson MB 1998 Delivery rates of abscisic acid and other osmolites as xylem sap travels from the shoot base to target leaves higher in the canopy of Ricinus communis plants. Society of Experimental Biology Annual Conference, University of York, UK.
Jokhan AD, Jackson MB 1996 Transport of abscisic acid and 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid from drying roots to the shoots of Ricinus communis L. plants. Society for Experimental Biology Annual Conference, University of Lancaster, UK.
Jokhan AD, Jackson MB 1995 Root-to-shoot communication in Ricinus communis L. plants subjected to partial soil drying. Invited paper at the Society for Experimental Biology Annual Conference, St Andrews University, UK.
Jokhan AD 1991 Carbon dioxide and plant growth. Invited paper at the 14th Annual General Meeting of Fiji Institute of Agricultural Sciences, Fiji
Narayan AD, Eamus D 1988 The influence of water stress and abscisic acid on the water relations of two tropical crop species. Society for Experimental Biology Annual Conference, University of Lancaster
Jokhan AD and Sharma BN (2009) Distance and Flexible Learning at the University of the South Pacific. In Accessible Elements. Teaching Science and at a Distance (eds) Kennepohl D and Shaw L. Athabasca University Press, Edmonton, Canada, 235-246.
Jokhan AD 2003 Teaching Science in the region. In: Colloquium for Tertiary Teachers (2003: Auckland). Teaching and learning with Pasifika students: proceedings of the Colloquium for Tertiary Teachers, Auckland, New Zealand, February 3-5, 2003. Edited by: Alsion Kirkness and Naila Fanene – Auckland, NZ. Centre for Educational and Professional Development, Auckland University of Technology, 73-77.
Jokhan AD and Saleshni Prasad 2003 Basic Science A Revision Guide (2nd edition). Pacific Educational Resources (Fiji) Ltd, Lautoka
Jokhan AD 2001. Basic Science. A Revision Guide. Pacific Educational Resources (Fiji) Ltd, Lautoka
Jokhan AD 1998 BIFO3: Foundaiton Biology B: Introduction and Assignments Semester 2. Revised. Suva, Fiji, University Extension, USP.
Jokhan AD 1998 BIFO2: Foundation Biology: Introduction and assignments, Semester 1 . Revised. Suva, Fiji, University Extension, USP.
Jokhan AD 1993 Carbon dioxide and plant growth. In: W Aalbersberg, PD Nunn, AD Ravuvu (eds). Climate and Agriculture in the Pacific Islands: Future Perspectives, 27 - 31.
Eamus D, Narayan AD 1990 Root Lp and ion transport responses to drought, chilling and ABA In: WJ Davies and B Jeffcoat (eds.) Importance of root to shoot communication in the responses to environmental stress British Society for Plant Growth Regulation. Monograph 21.
Jokhan AD, Jackson MB 1998 Delivery rates of abscisic acid and osmolality as xylem sap travels from the shoot base to target leaves higher in the canopy of Ricinus communis plants. Journal of Experimental Botany Supplement Vol 49, May 1998
Jackson MB, Else MA, Jokhan AD, Tiekstra AE (1998). Root to shoot communication and the control of water relations in plants subjected to soil flooding or soil drying. Bulgarian Journal of Plant Physiology Special issue, 1998, p 233.
Jackson MB, Else MA, Jokhan AD, Tiekstra AE (1998). Root-shoot interactions during the early stages of soil flooding or soil drying. Book of Abstracts of the Fifth International Symposium on Structure and Function of Roots, August 31 -September 4, 1998.
Jokhan AD, Jackson MB 1995 Transport of Abscisic acid and 1-aminocyclopopane-1-carboxylic acid from drying roots to shoots of Ricinus communis L. Journal of Experimental Botany. 47, May 199
Jokhan AD, Jackson MB 1995 Delivery rates of ABA in xylem sap of Ricinus communis L. plants subjected to partial soil drying. International Workshop in Field Techniques for Ecophysiology Book of Abstracts, September 1995
Jokhan AD, Jackson MB 1995 Root-to-shoot communication in plants of castor oil (Ricinus communis L.) with droughted upper root system. Journal of Experimental Botany.
Jokhan AD, Jackson MB 1995 Systemic signalling from roots to shoots of Ricinus communis L. plants subjected to partial soil drying. 14th Long Ashton Internal Symposium, Bristol, UK
Jokhan AD, Jackson MB 1995 Flux rates of ABA in xylem sap of Ricinus communis L. plants subjected to partial soil drying. British Ecological Society/Society for Experimental Biology Instrumental Workshop Italy
MSc thesis 1990 The water relations of water stressed tropical crop plants
PhD thesis 1997 Root-to-shoot communication in Ricinus communis L. plants subjected to drying part of the root systems.
Supervised 10 Masters research students. Currently have 5 Masters and 1 PhD student
Examined 6 Masters thesis